Gold is the standard currency of Tamriel. Although officially the coins are called Septims, gold is the name used in your inventory and many other places. Gold is also a metal that can be mined, smelted, and forged into jewelry. Gold ore and ingots cannot be directly minted to convert them into currency, however, many merchants (Blacksmiths, Jewelers, and General Goods merchants) will buy them from you.
|Gold||0000000f||0||1||An individual coin.|
|Coin Purse||000d790c||0||0||A small coin purse. Picking one up gives you 6-23 gold.|
|Coin Purse||000d8e7f||0||0||A medium-sized coin purse. Picking one up gives you 12-37 gold.|
|Coin Purse||000d8e80||0||0||A large coin purse. Picking one up gives you 23-56 gold.|
|Pile of GoldDB||xx018486
|A pile of coins. Activating one gives you 80-120 gold.
- Golden Touch (30 points/Silver) — Have 100,000 gold
- 3 Gold Ores are obtained by mining Gold Ore Veins. They cannot be purchased.
- 1 Gold Ingot is obtained by smelting 2 Gold Ores. They cannot be purchased.
- Gold Smithing to create jewelry is possible from the start of the game, without unlocking any Smithing perks.
There are a total of 78 veins, 23 ores, and 48 ingots at guaranteed locations. Many individual veins are scattered outside across Tamriel. Only notable locations are included in the following list, in particular places where multiple veins are located near each other and interior areas containing veins. The Gold Veins category contains a more complete list of places containing single veins, and all exterior ore veins are shown on .
|The Reach||Kolskeggr Mine||17||3||4|
|The Pale||Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon||11||Shrine cannot be entered until the end of the quest Pieces of the Past|
|The Pale||Forsaken Cave||7||Two ingots are located on a table, before the large room at the north end of the cave.|
|Solitude||Broken Oar Grotto||2||Located west of Broken Oar Grotto, on a large island marked with a red flag.|
|Winterhold||Wreck of the Winter War||6||Located 1170 ft NE of the shipwreck, near the skill book Beggar|
|Winterhold||Pilgrim's Trench||6||Only appears after dealing with Velehk Sain. Located 490 ft SE of the trench, near a Shrine of Talos|
|The Rift||Lost Prospect Mine||3|
|The Rift||Shor's Watchtower||4||Only appears after Compelling Tribute for the Imperials.[verification needed] Located in a chest centered 410 ft NNW of the tower|
|Eastmarch||Sacellum of Boethiah||2||Located 300 ft SSW of the Sacellum|
|Winterhold||Septimus Signus's Outpost||2||Located 730 ft NE of the outpost|
|Falkreath Hold||Fort Neugrad||2||Located 320 ft ENE of the fort, across the lake|
|Falkreath Hold||Bloated Man's Grotto||1|
|Falkreath Hold||Moss Mother Cavern||1|
|Falkreath Hold||Greywater Grotto||1|
|Eastmarch||Lost Knife Hideout||1|
|Name (ID)||Raw Materials||Delta||Ratio|
|Gold Ring (×2)
|Gold Sapphire Ring
|Gold Emerald Ring
|Gold Diamond Ring
|Gold Jeweled Necklace
|0.5||485||0||1||Flawless Amethyst ×2||-0.7||25||0.42||1.05|
|Gold Ruby Necklace
|Gold Diamond Necklace
- Septims can't be dropped. However, they can be stored in containers.
- 1 Gold Ore is needed for the quest Ringmaker.
- Gold Ore can be sold to Pavo Attius for the quest Mine Ore.
- 1 Gold Ingot is needed at Workbenches to improve Konahrik.
- Ore veins (all types) sometimes do not respawn normally. See Mining (Bugs) and elsewhere on that article and its talk page.