- Talk to a questgiver of the Mages Guild.
- Find the whereabouts of the book's thief.
- Kill the thief and retrieve the book.
- Head back to the questgiver and hand over the book.
- Be sure to follow the time limit.
My name is (questgiver's name). You want work but you aren't a member of the Mages guild? I'm sure you can understand that we only provide quality work for our members. However, I do have a little errand that needs to be done. One of our books is missing. If you were to find and return it, I would consider it a personal favor, one that would reflect well on you with the entire guild.
Questgiver goes on:
We have no clues at the moment. The name of the book is (random book). You will have to snoop around and ask people if they have heard anything. Bring the book back to me if you find it.
Obviously you are not interested in being on good terms with the Mages Guild.
Ask around in town until someone can point you to the tavern in town where a certain informant can be found. The informant will tell you that the book was stolen by a local thief. Ask around until you know the possible whereabouts of the book's thief. He/she has a busy schedule:
- From 00:00 to 08:00 he/she will be at home
- From 08:01 to 16:01 he/she will be at a certain weapons store in town
- From 16:02 to 23:59 he/she will be at a certain tavern in town
Once you know his/her schedule, you only need to get the names of the specific buildings; ask around further. Go to one of the buildings at the correct time and confront the thief. If you visit him/her at his/her home during the night, the door(s) will be locked, so be prepared for some lockpicking or have an open spell available. When you have found the thief at last, kill him/her and retrieve the book from his/her body. Return it back to the questgiver of the Mages Guild to receive his warmest thanks.
When you bring the book back to the questgiver he will be pleased and thanks you by saying:
Ah, (random book). Well done, (player's first name). The Guild is certainly more favorably inclined toward you.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|The Mercenary Mages||+5|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
- Quest Target: One Thief
- The time limit of this quest will always be ten days.
- Given the thief's required schedule, the town where this quest takes place must have at least a weaponsstore and a tavern. If either of these buildings is not present, you can't find the thief during this periods. Wait until he moves on with his schedule to find him.
- This quest is almost identical to the Merchant/Innkeeper Quest The First Printing, but this time you are helping the Mages Guild.