The Dark Brotherhood is a guild of assassins shrouded in shadow and mystery which has been active all over Tamriel. While their business is certainly not legal, their existence has typically been tolerated or ignored. Whenever an individual with legal authority takes an interest in their dealings, the Brotherhood relies upon a combination of bribery, blackmail, coercion, and murder to keep their activities hidden. They split from the Morag Tong some time in the Second Era. During the events of Daggerfall, the Brotherhood is also known for their worship of Mephala. Dark Sisters are accepted into the Brotherhood as equally as Dark Brothers, though members of either gender are often referred to as Brothers.
To join the Dark Brotherhood in Daggerfall, you must kill at least three innocent citizens or fifteen town guards. The Dark Brotherhood's quests are usually standard assassinations, the execution of freelancing assassins and their employers or the execution of former members of the Brotherhood that failed their task.
|Allied with the Dark Brotherhood|
|General Quests and Information|
|Quest Name||Quest Text||Description||Reputation Required|
|Quests for non-members|
|The Acceptance Test||Become a member of the Dark Brotherhood.||The acceptance test for the Dark Brotherhood.||Not in Guild|
|Quests for members|
|A Renegade Member||There is a traitor in the Brotherhood. You will perform the necessary accounting on this liability, will you not?||Execute a former member of the Dark Brotherhood.||In Guild|
|No Escape||As you know, (Brother/Sister), there is no room for failure in the Dark Brotherhood. Brothers who fail us...||Execute a former member who tried to escape from the Brotherhood's retribution.||In Guild|
|Disagreeable Competition||There is another assassination group budding in (region), which must be crushed before it can bloom. ...||Execute a freelancing assassin and his employer.||In Guild|
|A Renegade Mage||The Mages Guild has come to us for a bit of messy business that's too gross and nasty for them to deal with. ...
We have the Mages Guild for a client again. Seems that one of their bugs has been sniffing too much bat gut ...
|Execute a renegade mage on behalf of the Mages Guild.||In Guild|
|A Fateful Song||Here's a rather amusing accounting that may appeal to your morbid sense of humor. ...||Execute a bard who has composed a scandalous song about a local noble.||10 reputation or more|
|Unauthorized Absence||The Brotherhood prides itself on always knowing where each Brother is at all times. ...||Discover the whereabouts of a missing guild brother.||10 reputation or more|
|A Knight without Honor||Ah, here's something to appeal to the romantic in you, (player's first name): a caddish knight...||Execute a knight who refused to protect a damsel.||20 reputation or more|
|Contract on a Mage||I recognize your expression, (player's first name). You are growing arrogant, egotistical, and vain. ...||Execute a member of the Mages Guild.||30 reputation or more|
|An Anonymous Job||We have an anonymous job for you. It happens every now and then that...||Perform an execution at a palace in the region.||30 reputation or more|
|Concerns of a Noble||This little excursion is not for just anyone, but I feel ...||Mediate the succession within a noble family in the most "classic" way.||40 reputation or more|
|Taking on the Thieves Guild||We have an interesting job available (player's name). A high ranking member of the Thieves Guild. ...||Kill a high-ranking member of the Thieves Guild.||50 reputation or more|
|The Veteran||This could be a tough one, even for you (player's first name). ...||Execute a veteran of the War of Betony.||60 reputation or more|
The Guildhall of the Dark Brotherhood is always a two-level orange building, which is marked automatically on the town map once a member enters a town or city for the first time. This building can also be the quest location of many of the various quests that take place in the local town.
Potion sellers will sell a random assortment of potions to all members of Journeyman rank or higher. They can be found on the first floor.
As the name implies, Questgivers will give contracts to members. They can be found on the second floor. More often than not, the contracts these individuals provide will not have any particular reward attached, meaning the profit must come from selling treasure found in dungeons.
Soul Gem Merchant
Soul gem merchants sell soul gems to all members of Punisher rank or higher. Sometimes they even sell filled soul gems. They can be found on the second floor.
Members with ranks of Assassin or higher may access the services of spymasters, who provide valuable and credible information. They can be found on the second floor.
Trainers will train members in the skills befitting assassins for a cost of 100 gold times the player's current level. They can be found on the first floor.
|Rank||Rank Title||Reputation||High skill||Low skill|
|each rank||May bribe the judge. Chance is (Rank + 1) ÷ 20 when accused of murder|
|each promotion||An undiscovered dungeon is revealed on your map|
|Rank 1||Access to Potion Seller|
|Rank 3||Access to Potion Maker|
|Rank 5||Access to Soul Gem Merchant|
|Rank 7||Access to Spymaster|
- Critical Strike
- Short Blade
- Given the method used in joining the Dark Brotherhood, you cannot join them again after you leave or are dismissed.
- When you first join the Brotherhood, your reputation with them may be at a negative level. Because zero or any positive reputation are the required values for the lowest rank, this can result in unfair expulsion if you turn in a quest while your reputation with them is negative. There are several ways of dealing with this problem:
- Completing quests successfully will raise your reputation with the Brotherhood by 5 points. Try to complete enough quests to get back into the positive range before being expelled.
- Even if your reputation is negative, you cannot be expelled unless you talk to members of the Brotherhood. Each month, a negative reputation will get one point closer to zero, at which point it is safe to talk to them again. Because there is no way of checking reputation with specific factions in-game, it may be helpful to use a reputation editor or a similar tool.
- Failing certain quests for other factions can also increase your standing with the Brotherhood, which can rectify the problem. For example, during the merchant escort quest, if the merchant is being pursued by the Brotherhood, turning him over to them will increase your standing with the Brotherhood significantly.
- Certain save game editors such as DFHack can be used to manually raise your reputation with the Brotherhood and its associated factions.
- The reputation cheat can be used to raise your reputation with the Brotherhood to a positive value. Keep in mind that this method will also raise your reputation with every other faction and guild.