Daggerfall:The Acceptance Test
- Murder at least three citizens or fifteen town guards.
- Wait for about three days to receive a letter.
- Travel to the town mentioned in the letter.
- Meet the poisonmaker in town and get a bottle of snake venom.
- Gain entry to the victim's home in the first town the poisonmaker mentions.
- Find the wine decanter and pick it up.
- Drop the decanter with the poisoned wine from your inventory and leave.
- Travel to the second town the poisonmaker mentioned and meet with the Dark Brotherhood contact to complete the test.
- Be sure to follow the time limit.
About three days after you have murdered at least three citizens or fifteen town guards, you will receive a letter. The letter, handed to you by a deaf and dumb urchin, contains the following message:
The Dark Brotherhood has been watching you. You have slain without sanction several times. You must now join us, or be counted as our foe. Travel to (town) in (current region) and see (poisonmaker's name), who will give you further instructions.
The quest takes place in the region where you received the letter.
If you want to accept the letter's offer, travel to the town that it mentions and ask around to learn the poisonmaker's location.
Speak to the poisonmaker, who will say:
Ah, you must be (player's name). The Dark Brotherhood has been watching you. You have proven you can kill with a blade. The Brotherhood does not tolerate rogue assassins. You must either join us, or be marked for death. The Brotherhood will initiate you as a full member if you take this (poison) and place it in the wine decanter of (victim's name) in (residence) of (first town). You have (time limit) days to do this and report to (Dark Brotherhood contact's name) in (second town). The blessings of Mephala upon you, (player's name).
Travel to the first town and ask around to learn the location of the victim's home. The door may be locked, so be prepared to open it with lockpicking or magic if need be. Once inside, locate the wine decanter, which will look like a potion standing on the ground. Pick it up to automatically add the poison. When this is done, you will receive the following message:
The (poison) clouds the wine but briefly. In a few seconds the drink looks normal again. Now all you have to do is put it back.
Drop the wine decanter from your inventory anywhere in the house and leave quickly to avoid being attacked by spellswords.
Travel to the second town mentioned by the poisonmaker, and ask around to learn the location of the Dark Brotherhood contact.
If you have completed the assassination, the questgiver will say:
Well done, (player's name). (victim's name) was stricken with sudden heart failure. Poor bastard. You have shown you can kill with care and not just with a bared blade. You are now a full member of the Dark Brotherhood. Anytime you enter a town, you will know if there are any guild buildings there. It is customary for the novice to receive payment of a single gold coin for his first sanctioned death. Here is yours.
If you attempt to speak with the contact before the assassination is completed, 4 hostile enemies will be waiting instead of the contact, and the quest will be counted as a failure.
A successfully completed task will gain you no reputation.
If you ignore the letter the quest will count as failure after the time limit expired and you will lose reputation as shown in the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
If you accepted the assassination, but didn't complete it successfully, you will lose reputation according to following table.
|The Dark Brotherhood||-35|
|Associated factions of the Dark Brotherhood||-18|
If you accepted the assassination, but haven't completed it successfully and report to the Dark Brotherhood's contact, you will lose reputation according to following table.
|The Dark Brotherhood||-150|
|Associated factions of the Dark Brotherhood||-75|
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered in the tables)
- 3x One Spellsword every three in-game minutes (25% chance) as long as you are in the residence
- Two Nightblades if you report to the Dark Brotherhood's contact without completing the assassination
- Two Assassins if you report to the Dark Brotherhood's contact without completing the assassination
- This quest cannot be repeated if failed; if you do not successfully complete the quest, you can never join the Dark Brotherhood.
- The time limit for responding to the letter is not specified, so it is advisable to meet the contact as soon as you receive the letter.
- Contrary to the dialogue, you do not receive a gold piece for completing the quest.