Daggerfall:The First Printing
- Talk to a Merchant or an Innkeeper.
- Find the whereabouts of the book's thief.
- Kill the thief and retrieve the book.
- Head back to your employer and hand over the book.
- Collect your reward.
- Be sure to follow the time limit.
This quest is one of several in the random pool of Merchants/Innkeepers quests.
Pardon me. Have you ever read the book (book's name)? It is excellent, and I have a first printing of it. Or, might I say, had a first printing. Seems someone has taken it. I'll gladly pay (random gold) gold pieces to the first one who returns it to me. Do you think you can find it?
The merchant/innkeeper goes on:
Great! It is very important to me, being a first printing and all. Unfortunately, I have no idea who took it. You may try to ask around town.
The merchant/innkeeper answers:
Too bad, I really need to find that book.
Ask around in town until someone can point you to the tavern in town where the informant can be found. The informant will tell you that the book was stolen by a local thief. Ask around until you know the possible whereabouts of the book's thief. He/she has a busy schedule:
- From 00:00 to 08:00 he/she will be at home
- From 08:01 to 16:01 he/she will be at a certain general store in town
- From 16:02 to 23:59 he/she will be at a certain tavern in town
Once you know his/her schedule, you only need to get the names of the specific buildings; ask around further. Go to one of the buildings at the correct time and confront the thief. If you go to his/her home, the door(s) will be locked, so be prepared for some lockpicking or have an open spell available. When you have found the thief at last, kill him/her and retrieve the book from his/her body.
Head back to your employer for your reward. Successfully completing this quest may lower your reputation with the Thieves Guild.
Upon handing over the book the merchant/innkeeper says:
Splendid! My copy of (book's name)! Well done (player's name). Here is the (random gold) gold I promised you.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Questgiver's associated factions||+2|
A failed quest (time limit expired) results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
|Questgiver's associated factions||-1|
- Quest Target: One Thief
- The time limit of this quest will always be ten days.
- Given the thief's required schedule, the town where this quest takes place must have at least a general store and a tavern. If either of these buildings is not present, you can't find the thief during this periods. Wait until he moves on with his schedule to find him.