|Location||Bravil Mages Guild|
|Available||75% chance between 9am and 8pm, 10pm-12am
|Faction(s)||Bravil; Guild for Mages (Evoker Evoker)|
Delphine Jend, a Breton mage, is an Evoker of the Mages Guild and the creator of the celebrated Enemies Explode spell. She resides in the Bravil Guild Hall, where she sells spells and offers advanced Destruction training. Similarly to Bralsa Andaren, she dislikes Kynareth and her "woodland creatures".
Delphine lives a very day-to-day existence, and the activities she pursues are mostly ruled by chance. She sleeps in her bed on the second floor of the guild building between midnight and 9am. After that, the way she passes the next eleven hours of her day is variable. In most cases (75%), she will be found in one of three locations around the ground floor contemplating her "PonderItem". When doing so, she will assume her "thinking" position, carefully touching her chin while looking up. She also has a much slimmer chance (15%) of aimlessly wandering around the ground floor. Finally, she has a 10% chance of training her magical skills by casting a Destruction spell in front of the stairs to the second floor. She will then eat dinner between 8pm and 10pm and spend the last two hours of her day sleepily wandering around the guild building.
She doesn't wield any weapons, relying instead on a set of lower-level spells from all of the magical schools. These are also the same spells that you can buy cheaply off her, since her Mercantile is a mere 6. She will offer her services both as a spell vendor and a trainer when not eating, sleeping, and wandering between 9am and 8pm.
When you approach her for the first time, she will introduce herself by saying: "Delphine Jend. Creator of the celebrated 'Enemies Explode' spell. Advanced Trainer in Destruction. And Mage Destined for Great Things." When asked about Bravil, she will tell you a bit more about herself instead: "I love my work. Fire, frost, shock, poison... little presents for Kynareth's cute little woodland creatures." On her work in the Guild she will say: "It's my job to help people learn the proper, constructive use of Destruction magic. And let's face it... blowing things up can be ever so much fun." If you haven't joined yet, she will point you towards Kud-Ei: "You'll need to talk to Kud-Ei if you want to join the guild. Or any of the heads of the local guild halls, for that matter." As an advanced trainer, she can provide you with the reference needed to initiate the Destruction Training quest and point you towards accomplished master trainer Bralsa Andaren: "If you want to know more, there's one person I can think of to teach you, though she's a bit... odd. You'll need to find Bralsa Andaren. Best mage I've ever seen, but a bit eccentric. Last I heard, she had camped out at a shrine to Kynareth, and was killing wildlife for fun, I think."
Her destruction skills and incautious behavior have left the townsfolk of Bravil more worried than impressed:
- "I understand Delphine Jend has some other mages worried. She's skilled, but a bit unpredictable."
- "I've heard she's quite skilled in Destruction, and is a favorite of Kud-Ei's."
- "That Delphine Jend seems dangerous to me. She's very skilled, but I think she's reckless."
- "I'm sure Kud-Ei will keep her in check. I know she has Jend teaching other mages now."
- "Have you heard about Delphine Jend, and her skills in spellcasting?"
- "Her skills with Destruction spells are supposedly impressive. I understand Kud-Ei has her teaching them at the Mages Guild."
- "Does Delphine Jend make you a bit nervous?"
- "I know Kud-Ei will keep her in check. She even has her teaching her spells to other Mages Guild members."
Additionally, two of her fellow Guild members will direct you to Delphine for spells. Ita Rienus will say: "Delphine can get you a spell to summon bound armor, if you're interested. And if you're able, of course." Aryarie will tell you: "I'm just here doing research. If you need spells, talk to Ita or Delphine. They'll be happy to help."
- Destruction Training: A Master of Destruction wants you to join her in challenging the gods to prove you deserve her training.
- Delphine spends most of her days contemplating her "PonderItem". This is a bizarre object in her inventory that has no name, weight, value, picture, or apparent function. The only non-blank entries for it in the Construction Set are its editor ID ("PonderItem") and Form ID (00002340). If you kill her or pickpocket her, this item is visible in her inventory labeled <missing name>. When dropped, it looks like a giant flashing box with an exclamation point on it. If you have installed the Thieves Den official plug-in, it will instead be identified as "Ring" and will be a quest item (i.e., you cannot drop it any more).
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- Dropping it in the Xbox 360 version will either cause the game to freeze or an error message to appear about the disc being unreadable (even if the game is has been downloaded). You will need to turn the Xbox off and restart it.
- Delphine's Enemies Explode spell is the most magicka intensive spell in the game outside of custom spells. The spell requires far more magicka to cast than Delphine has.
She sells the following spells:
|Defend||Apprentice||43||Shield 15% for 30sec on Self|
|Ease Burden||Apprentice||35||Feather 50pts for 240sec on Self|
|Open Easy Lock||Apprentice||29||Open Easy Lock on Target|
|Summon Scamp||Apprentice||60||Summon Scamp for 20sec on Self|
|Bound Cuirass||Journeyman||72||Bound Cuirass for 60sec on Self|
|Spark||Novice||22||Shock Damage 10pts on Target|
|Flash Bolt||Apprentice||52||Fire Damage 20pts on Target|
|Enemies Explode*||Master||842||Fire Damage 5pts in 10ft for 5sec on Target
Fire Damage 70pts in 20ft for 1sec on Target
|Alluring Gaze*||Novice||21||Charm 12pts for 30sec on Target|
|Beguiling Touch||Novice||14||Charm 12pts for 30sec on Touch|
|Frenzy*||Novice||8||Frenzy up to level 5 for 30sec on Target|
|Illuminate*||Novice||13||Light in 10ft for 90sec on Target|
|Inspiration*||Novice||5||Rally 25pts for 20sec on Target|
|Inspiring Touch*||Novice||5||Rally 25pts for 30sec on Touch|
|Serenity||Novice||13||Calm up to level 2 for 10sec on Target|
|Soothing Touch*||Novice||13||Calm up to level 2 for 15sec on Touch|
|Starlight||Novice||14||Light in 20ft for 60sec on Self|
|Touch of Frenzy*||Novice||7||Frenzy up to level 6 for 30sec on Touch|
|Eyes of Eventide||Apprentice||33||Night-Eye for 15sec on Self|
|Heroic Touch||Apprentice||26||Rally 50pts for 60sec on Touch|
|Heroism*||Apprentice||30||Rally 50pts for 45sec on Target|
|Mesmerizing Grasp*||Apprentice||35||Charm 25pts for 30sec on Touch|
|Moonlight*||Apprentice||47||Light in 30ft for 120sec on Self|
|Pacification*||Apprentice||26||Calm up to level 2 for 20sec on Target|
|Rage*||Apprentice||26||Frenzy up to level 10 for 40sec on Target|
|Seductive Charm||Apprentice||52||Charm 24pts for 30sec on Target|
|Touch of Fear*||Apprentice||31||Demoralize up to level 3 for 20sec on Touch|
|Touch of Rage||Apprentice||30||Frenzy up to level 18 for 30sec on Touch|
|Calming Touch*||Journeyman||73||Calm up to level 7 for 20sec on Touch|
|Enthralling Presence||Journeyman||105||Charm 24pts in 20ft for 20sec on Target|
|Major Life Detection||Apprentice||30||Detect Life in 60ft for 20sec on Self|
|Remote Manipulation||Apprentice||28||Telekinesis 10ft for 20sec on Target|
|Soul Trap||Apprentice||60||Soul Trap for 20sec on Touch|
|Heal Major Wounds||Apprentice||61||Restore Health 25pts on Self|
* Indicates spells which cannot be purchased from anyone else, though spells with the same effects at different magnitudes can be purchased elsewhere.
- The magicka cost for most purchasable spells matches the value you would calculate from the Spell Cost equation. In other words, if you were to create the same spell at the Spellmaking Altar, it would have the same magicka cost as the purchasable spell. There are a few exceptions. Spells that are a bad deal, i.e. more expensive than a custom spell, are in red; spells that are a good deal are in green. The magicka cost if you were to create a custom spell at the Spellmaking Altar is shown in parentheses.
- The magicka cost for spells is dependent upon your skill in the school (as modified by Luck, see Magic Overview). The provided baseline values are the magicka cost when your skill level is 33. For other skill levels the magicka cost can be determined from:
Cost * (1.4 - 0.012 * Skill)
- More powerful spells cost more to buy, have a higher skill requirement, and consume more Magicka.
- Level indicates what skill level you must reach (or surpass) in order to use a spell. Skill Level 0-24 = Novice, 25-49 = Apprentice, 50-74 = Journeyman, 75-99 = Expert, 100 = Master.
- The base cost in gold that you must pay to purchase a spell is always three times the current magicka cost of the spell, taking into account your character's skill level and Luck. (The actual cost you pay is further increased based on how well you haggle with the merchant.) Therefore, if you have any Fortify Skill or Fortify Luck spells/potions handy, you can get significantly better deals when purchasing spells.