|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Oblivion NPC Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. If you make an addition to this page, please update this template accordingly, but make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|House||Alval Uvani's House|
|Faction(s)||[see notes] IC Citizens; Chorrol Citizen; Cheydinhal Citizens; Skingrad Citizen; Bruma Citizens; Bravil; Anvil Citizen; The I Hate the Player Faction!; Leyawiin|
Uvani's attire comprises a burgundy linen shirt, burgundy linens, and a pair of thick cowhide shoes. He carries his house key and a decent amount of gold, and he wields a leveled dagger which will bear a harmful enchantment at higher levels. Alval has an arsenal of three leveled spells, one from the Mysticism school, one from the Restoration school, and one from the Destruction school. Additionally, his Black Hand ability gives him a decent resistance to both magical and normal attacks.
When you approach Alval, he will make it clear that he has no interest in talking to you and will threaten you by saying, "You get any closer and I'll turn your bones to ash. Back off." If you attempt to engage him in conversation, he will refuse to speak to you: "I have no time for your pathetic attempts at small talk. Now walk away, before I get... nasty." If you successfully paralyze him, he will express his frustrations when you approach him: "Can't... Can't move... Body frozen... Must have been... the damn... Mead..." If you then enter conversation with him while he is paralyzed, he will blame you for paralyzing him: "No! You filthy guttersnipe! You won't get away with this! By Sithis, if I could only move my arms, I'd rip that smile right off your face!" This largely hints that he is involved in the Dark Brotherhood.
As he travels around Cyrodiil, Alval Uvani can be found at the following locations, on the following days:
- Morndas/Tirdas -- Bravil -- The Lonely Suitor Lodge
- Middas/Turdas -- Skingrad -- West Weald Inn
- Fredas/Loredas -- Bruma -- Olav's Tap and Tack
- Sundas -- Leyawiin -- Alval Uvani's House
Keep in mind that there may be some variation based on the time it takes for him to get to the different cities.
- A Matter of Honor: Alval Uvani, a traveling Dunmer merchant skilled in Destruction, makes a perfect target for a forest ambush.
- In the game, it is stated that Alval is either a Speaker or Silencer in the Dark Brotherhood's Black Hand, although the robes in his house seem to point to the former. However, in the Construction Set, Alval is not listed as belonging to any Dark Brotherhood-related factions. In addition, killing Alval before you receive The Purification quest will not cause you to be expelled from the Dark Brotherhood or invoke Sithis' wrath. In fact, you can even kill him in order to join the Dark Brotherhood. The information listed in the summary box is the Construction Set faction, because this is the information that controls the NPC's disposition, dialogue, and responses to scripts; see Factions for details.
- Two unused lines of dialogue exist for Alval in the Construction Set that cannot be heard during normal gameplay. The first unused line is a greeting that cannot be heard since his other greetings take precedence over this line of dialogue. He would have introduced himself and discussed his interests by saying, "Alval Uvani. I'm an evil wizard. I like blowing things up. And I have LOTS of time on my hands, since I'm LOADED with gold. So I blow things up. And burn them. And frost them. And shock the living daylights out of them. But I'm a smart, law-abiding evil wizard, because I only blow up my own stuff. So don't get any ideas about murdering me and looting my gold... Aside from the fact that I'll kick your ass... it's against the law, and you'll rot in jail for it. So how do like THEM apples?" The second unused line is his response to the Leyawiin topic which cannot be heard since he always exits dialogue immediately after conversation begins. When asked about the town, he would have mentioned that his neighbors complain about him: "My neighbors grumble a lot, but what can they do? No law against practicing my skills. Thinking about sticking your paw in my pocket? Go ahead. I'll blow you to cream corn, and the Law will love me for it."
- Uvani belongs to the citizen factions of the Imperial City, Chorrol, Anvil, and Cheydinhal, despite the fact that he can never be found in those locations.
- In the Construction Set, one can see what looks like a script rendering Alval paralyzed when boar meat is added to his inventory. However, this script does not work, and boar meat is not zero-weight and therefore cannot be reverse-pickpocketed onto Alval anyway.
- He tends to get killed when out traveling.
- An excellent way to kill Alval is by using poisoned apples. The best way to do this is to reverse-pickpocket one into his inventory and remove any surrounding food. With a bit of luck, he will immediately sit down, eat the apple and keel over dead within seconds.