|This page is currently being redesigned for the Oblivion Places Redesign Project (OPRP). The page needs in-game walkthrough(s) to go along with the maps and content lists. If you make an addition to this page, please update this template accordingly, but make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
Needs in-game verification. See the OPRP project page for explanation of what needs to be to complete the verification process.
|# of Zones||2|
|# of Welkynd Stones||Variable|
|# of Varla Stones||Variable|
(1 boss-level Undead)
|1 Ancient Elven Helm
3 boss-level Ayleid Coffers
1 boss-level Ayleid Reliquary
|Console Location Code(s)|
|VahtacenExterior, Vahtacen, Vahtacen02|
|South of Cheydinhal, western shore of Reed River origin|
- Vahtacen's Secret: Find out how the Mages Guild's excavation of Vahtacen is faring.
- The entrance to this ruin looks like a normal cave, and there's a short access route through caverns to the actual Ayleid ruin part. The upper section has been explored and is safe. The map icon is that of a cave, rather than of an Ayleid ruin.
- Most of the ruin is inaccessible without a key you get with the Mages Guild quest.
- The Welkynd and Varla Stones in this ruin are random loot, stored in crates in the first zone of Vahtacen. Up to 15 stones total can be found; the number of stones that you find is not influenced by your level. If you are level 9 or higher each stone you find has a 10% chance of being a Varla Stone.
- The Song of Pelinal, v 4 describes how Pelinal Whitestrake and the slave queen Alessia released the prisoners held in Vahtacen by the Ayleids.
- The exterior is located at coordinates: Tamriel 30, 17
- This location's map marker (M on map) is named Vahtacen (editor name VahtacenMapMarker). The entrance door is SSW of the marker, 30 feet away.
- 0-1 Mud Crab is near the entrance
- 2 Wilderness Creatures (Valley variety) are near the entrance
- 1 Nirnroot is at location N on map
- The following plants can be found near the entrance: 25 Bergamot plants, 1 Flax plant, 13 Lavender plants, 17 Monkshood plants, 1 Nightshade plant, and 1 Primrose plant
Zone 1: Vahtacen
- Denel (non-respawning) at location D on map
- Skaleel (non-respawning) at S
- 2 Ethereal Undead (dungeon-specific leveled list)
- 1 boss-level Ayleid Coffer (Undead variety) at location B on map
- 1 boss-level Ayleid Reliquary (Undead variety; locked) at B
- 1 A Battered Crate (may contain 1 magical Stone, 15% chance of appearing; non-respawning) at H
- 3 Ayleid Casks 01 (all locked)
- 1 Chest (contains 9 scrolls, including Elevate Magicka, Flare, and Sever Magicka; does respawn; locked) at I
- 2 Crates (each contains up to 4 magical stones, each 50% chance of appearing; each stone has 10% chance of being a Varla Stone for level 9 or higher characters, otherwise is a Welkynd Stone; non-respawning) at G
- 1 Restoration Ayleid Chest
- 2 Small Crates (each contains up to 3 magical stones, each 15% chance of appearing; non-respawning) at F
- The following books will always be found: 1 Magic from the Sky and 1 The Wild Elves
- 4 Dark Welkynd Stone traps at locations T on map
Doors and Gates:
- There are three doors in/out of this zone
- 1 door (at Out) leads outside
- 2 doors (at C and E) lead out of dungeon to Vahtacen Lorsel and Vahtacen Lorsel
- 1 Crumbling Wall at J
- 1 Gate at L (locked, key required, opened by Vahtacen Ruins Key)
- 1 Hidden Door at K
- Vahtacen's Pillar (needs to be opened to explore rest of ruin) at location V on map
- 2 bedrolls at b
Zone 2: Vahtacen Lorsel
Straight ahead of where you enter is one enemy. Continuing down the stairs, you'll find your first few traps; a spike pit surrounded by four Dark Welkynd Stones. Ahead of you, down a short hallway, is a pressure plate. Stepping on it opens up two rooms to the sides of you containing an enemy each. Enter each room to open the way to the rest of this dungeon (it is not necessary for you to kill the enemies here).
The next room has four more Dark Welkynd stones. Opening the gate at the opposite side of the room triggers three swinging blade traps. Continue through the ruin until you reach the large chamber in the northeast.
To raise the stairs, you will need to activate the push block located in one of the towers southeast of the main chamber. If your Acrobatics is high enough, you can jump directly there without needing to. When you've reached the cage enclosing the Elven helm, enemies will immediately appear in the chamber. Grab the helm and either unlock the gate at H to access a previously-inaccessible chamber in Vahtacen or go back through the door you went through to enter this zone.
- 1 boss-level Undead (non-respawning) at location A on map
- 5 Ethereal Undead (dungeon-specific leveled list)
- 3 Undead (dungeon-specific leveled list, 2 levels lower than standard, always best possible level; non-respawning)
- 1 Ancient Elven Helm (quest target; enclosed in a cage) at location Q on map
- 2 boss-level Ayleid Coffers (Undead variety; both locked) at B
- 2 Ayleid Casks 01
- 3 Restoration Ayleid Chests
- 1 Spike Pit trap at location G on map
- 1 Ceiling Spikes trap at location P on map
- 8 Dark Welkynd Stone traps at F
- 3 Swinging Blade traps at D
Doors and Gates:
- There are two doors (at C and E) in/out of this zone, both leading to the zone Vahtacen
- 1 Gate at H (locked)
- 6 Hidden Doors at I, J, K, L, M, and N
- 2 Stone Steps (rise to form steps when activated) at locations O on map