|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to Jim Stacey at Simine Fralinie's Bookshop in Vivec, Foreign Quarter for a new job.
- Take a trip to the Ald Redaynia ruins to obtain the Bittercup.
- Recover the Bittercup.
- Travel to Balmora, talk to Eydis Fire-Eye.
- Return to Jim in Vivec.
Jim Stacey at Simine Fralinie's Bookshop in Vivec, Foreign Quarter Canalworks, asks you to persuade Eydis Fire-Eye in Balmora to join the Thieves Guild's cause against the Camonna Tong. He suggests that Eydis might betray the Camonna Tong if you offer her the Bittercup, an artifact sacred to the followers of Clavicus Vile. The artifact can be found in the ruins of Ald Redaynia, on the islands north of the Urshilaku Camp (it should be marked on your map).
Recovering the Bittercup
The fun begins as soon as you arrive at the ruins, as it is guarded by two Skeleton Archers. Once inside, you must take the door (level 75 lock) to the right. You can find the key in the lower, submerged room by going to the side opposite the entrance, take the stairs up to the small walkway, and find the crates at the end of it; the key and a few picks are lying atop the crates behind the corpse (you can also use the key for the submerged chest to find over 1,000 gold and items). When you've found the key, go through the door, and take out the four monsters you first find. Once you've killed them all, a Skeleton War-Wizard will appear and can take a sizable chunk out of your health if you're not careful. Once he's dead, loot his body for the very nice Vampiric Ring. After you've finished examining your loot (1,000+ gold, Vampiric Ring, and enchanted staff), grab the Bittercup from the central altar, and choose whether you'd like to drink from it or just pick it up. Note that when you choose to drink from it, it disappears forever but adds 20 to your best attribute and subtracts 20 from your worst (you may not be able to finish the quest if you do though).
Travel back to Balmora and offer the Bittercup to Eydis in the Guild of Fighters to get her to pledge allegiance to the Thieves Guild.
Return to Jim to complete the quest.
- If you wish to keep and use the cup yourself, you can just kill Eydis and still complete the quest successfully, minus the grandmaster lockpick reward. If you wish to be part of the Fighters Guild too, finish all of Eydis' quests and take on the Remove Sjoring's Supporters quest, and you'll have to kill Eydis if you didn't give her the cup.
- If you give her the cup, she will not have it on her when she dies.
- A fast way to get to Ald Redaynia is to take the Guild Guide to Sadrith Mora, take a boat to Dagon Fel, and then travel on foot. Alternatively, you can take a boat from Gnaar Mok to Khuul then swim northeast.
- If your highest attribute is already above 80, drinking from the cup will not increase it past 100, but will still reduce your lowest stat by the full 20 points. However, if you have an item equipped raising an attribute over 100, the bitter cup will still add an additional 20 points to that stat.
- The name of this quest and the dialogue topic spell "Bitter Cup" as two words, but the actual artifact is listed as one word: "Bittercup". A minor discrepancy.
- Once this quest is complete, you may receive an infinite number of free Grandmaster's Picks from Jim. Simply bring up the topic of the Bitter Cup again in conversation with him, and you will receive another lockpick each time.
These Codes can be used along with the
Journal Console Command and Quest ID given within the chart to update the quest to a certain point.
|The Bitter Cup (TG_BitterBribe)
||Gentleman Jim Stacey asked me to get the Bitter Cup, an artifact sacred to Clavicus Vile, and deliver it to Eydis Fire-Eye. The Bitter Cup was lost in the ruins of Ald Redaynia.
||I sipped the potent nectar of the Bitter Cup. It bestowed its "gift" upon me, and then it promptly vanished.
||Instead of delivering the Bitter Cup to Eydis Fire-Eye as Gentleman Jim Stacey had requested, I sipped its potent nectar. The Cup bestowed its "gift" upon me, and then it promptly vanished.
||Eydis Fire-Eye accepted the Bitter Cup and agreed to betray Sjoring Hard-Heart's orders to crush the Thieves Guild.
||Gentleman Jim Stacey thanked me for delivering the Bitter Cup to Eydis Fire-Eye.
||Gentleman Jim Stacey was displeased that I botched the bribery of Eydis Fire-Eye. But he said he might have done the same himself, given the circumstances.
||Since Eydis Fire-Eye is dead, there is little we can do to bribe her.