|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to Skink-in-Tree's-Shade in the Wolverine Hall Mage's Guild for duties.
- Travel to Vivec to deliver a letter to Trebonius Artorius.
- Give the letter to Trebonius in the Foreign Quarter Guild of Mages and be promoted to Arch-Mage.
- Duel to the death:
- Either talk to Edwinna Elbert in the Ald'ruhn Guild of Mages to be directed to Trebonius or talk directly to Trebonius about becoming the Arch-Mage.
- Trebonius will challenge you to a duel to the death in the Arena.
- Defeat Trebonius to become Arch-Mage.
In order to achieve your last guild rank of Arch-Mage you must replace Trebonius Artorius in the Vivec Guild of Mages as the guildmaster. This isn't much of a surprise if you're familiar with Trebonius, he seems a bit light headed to be head of the Guild. There are two ways of doing this: peacefully or by a duel to the death.
Rising to Arch-Mage Peacefully
Once you've finished the Galur Rithari's Papers quest for Skink-in-Tree's-Shade (in the Wolverine Hall Mage's Guild), and reached the rank of Master Wizard, talk with Skink to be given a letter from Ocato (spelled correctly this time) that amounts to Trebonius's pink slip (he's being fired by the Empire). In it, Ocato asks Trebonius to promote you to Arch-Mage. Trebonius will, but he won't step down; you end up both being Arch-Mages, and you get +2 Reputation bonus. The downside is the only way you can get his equipment is by doing the Dwemer and Telvanni quests he sets for you. Because of how the journal script progresses, once you have the letter, you won't be able to challenge him to a duel unless you have previously done so.
Duel With Trebonius
Similarly, if you have finished the Bethamez quest for Edwinna Elbert (in the Ald'ruhn Guild of Mages), and reached the rank of Master Wizard, talk to Edwinna about duties and be directed to Trebonius in the Vivec Guild of Mages. He will greet you with a challenge to a duel to the death in the Vivec Arena.
Alternatively, if you have reached the rank of Wizard in the Guild, you can talk directly to Trebonius about becoming the Arch-Mage. He will again challenge you to a duel to the death in the Arena.
Either way, if you can manage to defeat him, you'll become the new Arch-Mage. You'll also get to keep his great equipment, but don't get any reputation points.
- If you kill Trebonius in the Arena and you forgot to remove his unique items, but you have the patch, those items will appear in the chest in the downstairs office of the Arena, Fighter Training.
- If you killed Trebonius some other way and did not rise to the rank of Arch-Mage, you can open the console in the PC version and enter the command:
PCRaiseRank "Mages Guild"
- This bug is fixed by the Morrowind Patch Project.
- In the unpatched version of the game without the Tribunal expansion installed, if you are at the rank of Wizard when you defeat Trebonius in the duel, you will only rise to the rank of Master Wizard. You will need to use the console command above to become Arch Mage. Installing Tribunal changes the script that executes following his death to always raise the player's rank twice regardless of the current rank.
- If you kill Trebonius to become Arch-Mage and then are expelled from the Mages Guild for robbing or killing a guild member, you will still be told that you must talk to the Arch-Mage to regain your standings in the Guild. Unfortunately, Trebonius is now dead, and you can't settle the matter for yourself, so you will be permanently expelled from the Guild.
- Use the following console commands to rejoin:
These Codes can be used along with the
Journal Console Command and Quest ID given within the chart to update the quest to a certain point.
|Index||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||Edwinna Elbert asked me to talk to Arch-Mage Trebonius.|
|20||Skink-in-Tree's-Shade asked me to deliver a letter to Arch-Mage Trebonius.|
|50||Guildmaster Trebonius challenged me to a duel in the Arena in Vivec. The duel is to the death. Whoever wins will be the Guildmaster of the Mages Guild in Vvardenfell.|
|100||Finishes quest||I am the new Arch-Mage of the Guild of Mages in Vvardenfell.|