Daggerfall:The Lost Artifact
- Talk to a questgiver of your Knight Order.
- Head to the dungeon named by the questgiver.
- Find and kill the lich.
- Report back to the questgiver of your Knight Order.
- (Optional) Embark on a quest to retrieve an artifact.
- Head to the dungeon mentioned in the Lich's note.
- Find the wizard within and talk to him/her.
- Head to the dungeon named by the wizard.
- Find and put the wraith to rest.
- Head to the town specified by the wraith.
- Search for the artifact at the local Mages Guild.
- Pick it up to end the quest.
- Be sure to follow the time limits.
I am (questgiver's name) of (order). I have a most dangerous quest (player's name). You are one of the few that could possibly take it on. A lich is raising an army of undead. We need someone to go in and put a stop to it.
The questgiver goes on:
You are brave indeed. The lich has made (dungeon) into its lair. Go there and destroy the foul thing. In (time limit) days we will send out someone else, should you not return.
The questgiver answers:
I understand, (player's name). This is too dangerous even for you. There are one or two other heroes that might be able to pull this one off. I'll go ask them.
Head to the dungeon named by the questgiver. Find and destroy the lich within. There is a one in three chance that you will come up against an Ancient Lich. The lich's corpse will contain a note mentioning an artifact and a dungeon; this note allows you to start the optional part of the quest, but before you embark on this optional quest report back to the questgiver or the quest will count as failure when it ends.
Quest Object Dead
When the lich is destroyed a message pops up saying:
The lich is dead. Without his magical support, the army of undead will return to the grave.
After you have reported back to your questgiver and received his congratulations, head to the dungeon named in the note taken from the lich's corpse. Within this dungeon you will eventually find a wizard who will tell you that his/her great grandfather once found an artifact, but it was taken from him by the Mages Guild. The wizard will ask you if you can put his/her great grandfather's specter to rest. As a reward, the specter might know the whereabouts of the artifact. You have two choices:
- Decline the offer
- The wizard will be angry and curses you, but nothing more. However you can not search further for the artifact. In addition you must wait until the quest's second time limit has expired, before you can get another quest from the questgiver.
- Accept the offer
- The wizard will give you a lock of his/her hair as a proof to the specter that your are sent by one of its descendants. Head to the dungeon named by the wizard and find the specter, a wraith, that haunts it. Put it to rest by destroying its spectral body. If you have the lock of hair in your inventory, the freed soul will speak to you, saying:
You hold a token of my lineage, a bit of hair from one of my descendants. Know ye that I have wandered these halls for long decades waiting for this sign. Go to the Mages Guild in (town). There you will find what I once lost.
Head to this town, specifically to its Mages Guild. Enter the building during its opening hours, from 11:00 to 23:00, and find the artifact within. But be careful, because some battlemages may be at the guildhall to guard the artifact. The artifact will look like some other rusty dungeon equipment lying on the floor. If you use "Info Mod" (by default the F3-key) you can check any rusty equipment that you find; if you have found the artifact, it will tell you, for example, "You see a Chyrsamere." Pick it up to end the quest, however you won't get any notification.
Upon reporting back, to the questgiver before embarking on the optional quest, he heralds:
Hail to the hero, (player's name)! Well done! You name will be recorded in all the histories.
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
|Generic Knightly Order||+5|
|City-State where the order is located||-|
|Nobility of the city-state where the order is located||-|
|People of the city-state where the order is located||-|
|All other factions of the city-state where the order is located||-|
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
|Generic Knightly Order||-2|
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target. Any of the following:
- One Lich
- One Ancient Lich
- Wizard's Ancestor: One Wraith
- 5x One Battlemage every five in-game minutes (50% chance) once you enter the Mages Guild
- This quest is only available with the CompUSA Special Edition Patch.
- You must report back to the questgiver before you start your search for the artifact and before the first time limit, the one given by the questgiver, has expired. If you don't do this, the quest will count as failure when you have found the artifact. After you have reported back, you can still embark on the optional quest.
- If you don't read the lich's note until the first time limit of the quest has expired, it will disappear from your inventory and the quest will end.
- The second time limit, which starts after you have read the lich's note, is always 180 and a half day. During this period you can find the artifact.
- Since this quest involves three dungeons, it's possible that the wizard will be staying in a town instead of a dungeon if you are in a region which has very few dungeons. In this case the town's name will be mentioned in the lich's note instead of a dungeon. In this case just travel to this town and ask around for the wizard until you know in which building he/she can be found.
- Although it was intended that you could acquire any of four artifacts, an oversight in the questfile causes Chrysamere to be the only possible reward
- Two of the other intended options, Necromancer's Amulet and the Warlock's Ring, were somewhat illogical, anyway, since they are possible rewards at the end of the Main Quest. The third intended option was the Staff of Magnus.
- There is a third party quest bug-fix which fixes the issue in the questfile which comes with the original CompUSA Special Edition Patch. It can be found here.