Daggerfall:Hermaeus Mora's Quest
- Summon Hermaeus Mora on the 5th of First Seed.
- Head to the town to which Hermaeus Mora points you.
- Go to the palace there and kill the noble.
- Travel to the town Hermaeus Mora mentioned to you.
- Meet his worshipper there and collect your reward.
- Be sure to follow the time limit.
Hermaeus Mora appears and addresses the player:
Power, yes, is an allusive but eloquent prosecution. One of my minions possesses an ancient tome called the Oghma Infinum, which bequeaths great power on those who read its pages. If you exterminate a certain scrofulous patrician who has aroused my displeasure, I will arrange a meeting between you and the book. Is this agreeable?
Hermaeus Mora goes on:
Very well. This socialite I referred to resides at the palace of (town). For the record, the name of your quarry is (noble's name). Kill (him) and proceed to (town), where my servant (worshipper's name) will wait for you in a library. I do not think there is anything to be gained by continuing this interview. Fail me not in this, (player's first name), and the power thou craves will be thine.
Hermaeus Mora responses disappointed:
You answer negatively. Am I to understand that you sought power, but seek it for free? You ought to have sought wisdom instead, for that is what you need. I bid you a very disappointed goodbye.
When the noble is hit for the first time he says to the player:
No! Wait! I swear, I meant to pay Lord Mora back. Don't kill me, I beg of you! Here, spare my life and take this (magic item) back to him as a token of my goodwill and a down payment on what I owe. Please, will you?
You have three options:
- Decline the offer and kill the noble
- Accept the offer and don't kill the noble
- Accept the offer but kill the noble anyway
Kill the noble
Just kill the noble on the spot, travel to Hermaeus Mora's worshipper and collect your reward.
Don't kill the noble
Bring the magic item to Hermaeus Mora's worshipper. She will take it, but you will get no reward,
Accept the magical item but kill the noble anyway
Accept the magical item but kill the noble anyway. Travel to Hermaeus Mora's worshipper, she will take the item from you and will give you your reward.
Quest Object Dead
When the noble dies a message pops up saying:
Hermaeus Mora will be pleased-- you have slain (noble's name).
Hermaeus's worshipper speaks to the player:
Player has magic item:
Hmm, well, thanks for the (magic item), I guess... Now, let's get down to business.
- Noble was killed:
(player's first name), I underestimated you. I told Mora you couldn't do it, but here you are, and all (region) is in an uproar over (noble's name) death. As promised, the book. Remember: you can only read it once. See you later, maybe.
- Noble wasn't killed:
You're telling me you let that little worm live, and you bring me this pathetic (magic item) instead of (noble's name)'s blood on your hands? Hermaeus Mora will be very unhappy with this news.
- Quest Target: One Spellsword NPC
- 5x One Barbarian every two in-game minutes (35% chance) in case the noble's offer is declined
- 5x One Ranger every three in-game minutes (50% chance) once the noble is dead
- Although Hermaeus Mora gives you no time limit, there is still one. You can check it in your journal.
- This is one of two Daedric Quests that doesn't involve dungeon crawling. However there will be some other NPCs guarding the quest target.
- According to the questfile, the noble is supposed to disappear once he gives you the magical item. But since this doesn't work as originally planned, you have the option of both getting the item and killing the noble.
- Hermaeus Mora's worshipper is a member of the Mages Guild and therefore will very likely wait at a library in the current region. So if the current region doesn't have a single library like some of the smaller regions of the Iliac Bay, then the worshipper will be missing from the quest and therefore you will not get your reward.