UESPWiki:Administrator Noticeboard/Archives/Please help
|This is an archive of past UESPWiki:Administrator Noticeboard discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page, except for maintenance such as updating links.|
I tried to activate my email section and even had a conf 'sent' to me several times, i even tried changing the caps in my listed email to see if that was the problem. No, before you ask, I have no blocks on my emails except that some things go to spam and no nothing is in there either.
side note... whew that was an interesting convo to start the page off and I do hope all is settled now and VoR realized his 'voice' was little more than passing wind and with the same olfactory effect, IMHO! *LadyPegasus - There are no wrong choices in life, only different paths we choose to take. 13:50, 4 January 2009 (EST)
- There are no filters on outgoing email addresses at UESP's end. The only UESP-caused email problems that I'm aware of have been caused by server configuration issues, in which cases all outgoing email messages were disabled. However, at the current time, UESP is definitely sending out email messages. Therefore, I doubt that the problem is beind caused by UESP. In at least a couple of other similar situations, the problem ended up being either that the email address had been entered incorrectly or that AOL was filtering the messages as spam. So, sorry, but I'm not sure there's anything that can be done at UESP's end. --NepheleTalk 16:25, 18 December 2008 (EST)
I have my email address set as a macro, or hotkey, so it is not being entered incorrectly. May I suggest perhaps a redundant entry for this to help for others that may have done it this way? As I said, I am aware that AOL sometimes filters for spam but I have checked that folder each time and there is still nothing there. I have even checked my email address yet again and it is correct. Either way, it does not solve my problem so may I ask if there is a way you can manually set it for me? Thank you for your time and efforts in this *LadyPegasus - There are no wrong choices in life, only different paths we choose to take. 13:50, 4 January 2009 (EST)
- Except that I don't know what to do to solve the problem; I don't know what to suggest to other people. As I understand it, this is a system-wide spam filter that AOL has put in place, completely out of the control or visibility of AOL users. You have no ability to see what messages are being removed by this spam filter. From my point of view, it is a problem introduced by AOL that needs to be fixed by AOL; UESP can't do anything to fix email filters put in place by internet service providers.
- And I can't manually set the email address. I'm quite sure that the wiki database is saving the email address that you have entered (confirmed by the fact that the address appears when you later go back to your preferences). "Manually" setting the entry will not change the email address from what is already there. Even somehow figuring out how to manually confirm your email address would only cause more problems. The confirmation says that email can successfully be sent to your email address. At that point, the wiki will email you updates; other editors can send you email; you can request that your password be emailed to you. I don't think any of those features should be enabled if, in fact, the destination email address won't work. --NepheleTalk 14:55, 4 January 2009 (EST)
- Woops, wrong extension. http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmUsersEmail There you go. Mraedis 09:29, 5 January 2009 (EST)
- And if I'm wrong again I misread hopelessly. :/
From what I read in the second listing he gave, if this idea works, it will indeed send me a new confirmation email. There should be no legitimate reason why these emails are not being received and it is possible that a different 'type' of email will work when these do not so I am going to ask that it be done ( it needs a certain level of admin authority to do so). If I do not get one this way, I will not set the email options if you wish, I simply want to find a way to maybe get it to work correctly. I have not had this problem with other wiki sites. If all else fails I will use a non AOL addy although I prefer not to as I do not use those often enough to be of much use to me here.*LadyPegasus - There are no wrong choices in life, only different paths we choose to take. 17:42, 5 January 2009 (EST)
- I just manually confirmed your e-mail through the database. Let me know if it doesn't work. If the admins feel the "ConfirmUsersEmail" extension would help I can install it. -- Daveh 12:37, 1 February 2009 (EST)