|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Oblivion NPC Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. If you make an addition to this page, please update this template accordingly, but make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|Added by||Thieves Den|
|Available||7am-12pm, 1pm-8pm every day|
|Training||Sneak, Advanced (75)|
|Sells||Armor (including enchanted items), unique items Gauntlets of the Manhunter, Silenced Boots, and Silenced Gauntlets|
Kovan Kren is a Dunmer nightblade who can be found in the northeast corner of the main cave after purchasing the "Spymaster" upgrade for Dunbarrow Cove from Dahlia Rackham for 1000 gold. He sells armor (including enchanted items); he also buys books, clothing, and potions. The armor includes Gauntlets of the Manhunter, Silenced Boots, and Silenced Gauntlets that are not available anywhere else. He provides training in Sneak up to level 75.
Kovan wears a set of lower class clothing: a shirt with suspenders, belted braies and a pair of oiled linen shoes. He is armed with a steel cutlass and carries a piece of boar meat. Kovan can also use spells from the Illusion and Restoration schools of magic. These are also the same spells that you can buy cheaply off him, as his Mercantile is a mere 5.
He provides training and sells spells 24 hours/day, but will only buy and sell items from 7am to noon and from 1pm to 8pm. During those times he can be found in the southeast corner of the main cavern, either practicing his blade skill on the target found there or standing around.
He sells the following spells:
|Alluring Gaze||Novice||21||Charm 12 pts for 30 secs on Target|
|Seductive Charm||Apprentice||52||Charm 24 pts for 30 secs on Target|
|Chameleon||Journeyman||116||Chameleon 25% for 30 secs on Self|
|Shadow Shape||Journeyman||120||Invisibility for 30 secs on Self|
|Shadow||Expert||282||Chameleon 50% for 30 secs on Self|
|Cloak||Master||474||Chameleon 75% for 30 secs on Self|
|Minor Fortify Sneak*||Novice||14||Fortify Sneak 5 pts for 30 secs on Self|
|Nightshadow*||Apprentice||28||Fortify Sneak 5 pts for 30 secs on Self
Fortify Blade 5 pts for 30 secs on Self
|Major Fortify Sneak*||Apprentice||34||Fortify Sneak 10 pts for 30 secs on Self|
|Greater Fortify Sneak*||Journeyman||124||Fortify Sneak 20 pts for 45 secs on Self|
|Greater Nightshadow*||Journeyman||68||Fortify Sneak 10 pts for 30 secs on Self
Fortify Blade 10 pts for 30 sec on Self
* Indicates spells which cannot be purchased from anyone else, though spells with the same effects at different magnitudes can be purchased elsewhere.
- The magicka cost for most purchasable spells matches the value you would calculate from the Spell Cost equation. In other words, if you were to create the same spell at the Spellmaking Altar, it would have the same magicka cost as the purchasable spell. There are a few exceptions. Spells that are a bad deal, i.e. more expensive than a custom spell, are in red; spells that are a good deal are in green. The magicka cost if you were to create a custom spell at the Spellmaking Altar is shown in parentheses.
- The magicka cost for spells is dependent upon your skill in the school (as modified by Luck, see Magic Overview). The provided baseline values are the magicka cost when your skill level is 33. For other skill levels the magicka cost can be determined from:
Cost * (1.4 - 0.012 * Skill)
- More powerful spells cost more to buy, have a higher skill requirement, and consume more Magicka.
- Level indicates what skill level you must reach (or surpass) in order to use a spell. Skill Level 0-24 = Novice, 25-49 = Apprentice, 50-74 = Journeyman, 75-99 = Expert, 100 = Master.
- The base cost in gold that you must pay to purchase a spell is always three times the current magicka cost of the spell, taking into account your character's skill level and Luck. (The actual cost you pay is further increased based on how well you haggle with the merchant.) Therefore, if you have any Fortify Skill or Fortify Luck spells/potions handy, you can get significantly better deals when purchasing spells.
- Kovan is often seen picking fights with other occupants of Dunbarrow Cove, and will randomly run across the cave to attack either Melliwin, Khafiz, or Tahm Blackwell. They will fight until one or the other is knocked unconscious (since they are all essential, nobody ever dies during these fights), but sometimes Kovan will run away and possibly not come back. While engaged in a fight neither combatant will offer any services.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion DLC Patches.
- Create or use an already existing Calm spell (up to at least level 10+, and with a relatively large area of effect), and if the merchants begin fighting, fire the spell until they are all calm. After that simply use the wait feature and wait for any amount of time. When you "wake up", the pirates should be walking back to their posts as if nothing happened.
- Try to get the fight to move to an area away from either person's usual area. In that case, once somebody falls unconscious, the other person will wander off, which tends to cease the fight, especially if you then start interacting with one of the participants.
- Wait for some period of time (12 hours, 24 hours) and see if their behavior resets.
- Select one participant in the fight and use the kill command. This will knock that participant unconscious and should reset the behavior of both combatants.