- Talk to a questgiver of your Knight Order.
- Head to the dungeon named by the questgiver.
- Find and talk to the witch.
- Head to the town named by the witch.
- Kidnap her great granddaughter from the palace there.
- Bring her back to the witch.
- Head to the new dungeon named by the witch.
- Find and retrieve the artifact you came for.
A rumor has surfaced as to the whereabouts of an ancient artifact of power. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Are you up to it, (Brother/Sister)?
The questgiver goes on:
I thought I detected the gleam of ambition in your eyes (player's first name). Supposedly, a witch living deep in the bowels of (dungeon) has discovered a clue about where to find this thing. I'd start with her.
The questgiver answers:
Not the ambitious type, eh? Some other lucky knight will be sure to snap this one up.
Head to dungeon specified by the questgiver and find the witch. Talk to her and she offers to provide you information on where an artifact (Auriel's Bow, Auriel's Shield, or the Lord's Mail) is located. In return she wants you to kidnap her great granddaughter, so that the child can become the witch's successor. The problem is that the child's parents don't know of her lineage and therefore won't hand their daughter over without a fight.
Travel to the palace and enter it. If you enter during its opening hours, between 10:00 and 18:00, you won't need to lockpick the entrance door or an open spell. Find the girl, who will be on the palace's first floor, grab her and make your escape. If you loiter too long in the palace the guards may try to stop you and take back the girl. You could hand her over, but that would of course cause you to fail the quest.
Take the girl back to the witch. You will be pursued by knights and battlemages, but as long as you can avoid being hit by any of the attackers, you will not be forced to turn the girl over. After you deliver the girl to the witch, she will tell you where to find the artifact.
Head to that new dungeon and find the artifact within. It will look like some other rusty dungeon equipment lying on the floor. If you use "Info Mode" (by default the F3-key) you can check any rusty equipment that you find; if you have found the artifact, it will tell you, for example, "You see a Auriel's Bow." Pick it up and your quest is completed successfully.
Upon retrieving the artifact a message pops up saying:
Your quest is complete.
If you find and pick up the artifact, you will gain reputation as shown below.
|Generic Knightly Order||+5|
If you turn the witch's great granddaughter over to the guards when you are forced to do so, you will gain/lose reputation as shown in the table below.
|Generic Knightly Order||-2|
|City-State the order is located||+6|
|Nobility of the city-state the order is located||+3|
|People of the city-state the order is located||+6|
|All other factions of the city-state the order is located||+3|
If you don't turn the witch's great granddaughter over to the guards when you are forced to do so, you will lose reputation as shown in the table below.
|City-State the order is located||-50|
|Nobility of the city-state the order is located||-50|
|People of the city-state the order is located||-25|
|All other factions of the city-state the order is located||-25|
- Random dungeon monsters
- 5x One Warrior every five in-game minutes (50% chance) once you enter the palace
- 5x One Battlemage every four in-game minutes (25% chance) once you pick up the child
- 5x Two Knights every three in-game minutes (30% chance) once you pick up the child
- According to the questfile. there is no time limit for this quest. In fact, there is a time limit for finding the witch's great granddaughter, but the quest is not terminated once this time limit expires. The quest is only terminated when you pick up the artifact, or when you hand the girl over to the guards.
- The witch is a member of the Glenmoril Coven and can therefore summon Hircine for you. The costs of the summoning depend on your Reputation with the coven. However the witch does not offer you any quests.
- The artifact you can get at the end of the quest is determined already at the beginning of the quest, like all components in every single quest within Daggerfall. So it is not possible to reload the game and talk to the witch again if she promises an artifact you don't want; you will still get the same artifact. You only can change the artifact if you get this quest again from a questgiver.
- You can embark on a quest for a specific artifact as often as you want, even if you have the artifact already. Therefore you could have three exemplars of the Lord's Mail at the same time, for example, unlike the artifacts in later Elder Scrolls games.