Following table lists all magical items found in the game. These items can be found as loot, can be a quest reward, or can be found at the magic item merchants of the Mages Guild and the School of Julianos. For unique magical items see the Artifacts page.
|Blazing Item of Fireballs||when used||Area at Range||Fireball|
|Cursing Item||when used||Area around Caster||Toxic Cloud|
|Deadman's Item||when used||Area around Caster||Fire Storm|
|Frosty Item of Ice Storms||when used||Area at Range||Ice Storm|
|Healing Item||when used||Caster only||Restore Health|
|Item of Far Silence||when used||Target at Range||Far Silence|
|Item of Featherweight||when used||Caster only||Slowfalling|
|Item of Force Bolts||when used||Target at Range||Force Bolt|
|Item of Fortitude||when equipped||Caster only||Fortitude|
|Item of Friendship||when equipped||Caster only||Charisma|
|Item of Nimbleness||when equipped||Caster only||Nimbleness|
|Item of Good Luck||when equipped||Caster only||Jack of Trades|
|Item of Iron Will||when equipped||Caster only||Iron Will|
|Item of Life Stealing||when strikes||On Target||Vampiric effect|
|Item of Lightning||when used||Target at Range||Lightning|
|Item of Magicka||when equipped
and a hostile spell
is at hand
|Caster only||Absorbs spell|
|Item of Oblivion||when strikes||On Target||Sphere of Negation|
|Item of Paralysis||when used||Target at Range||Medusa's Gaze|
|Item of Shocking||when used||On Touch||Shock|
|Item of the Orc Lord||when equipped||Caster only||Orc Strength|
|Item of the Sealed Door||when used||Caster only||Wizard Lock|
|Item of the Wise||when equipped||Caster only||Wisdom|
|Item of Toxic Clouds||when used||Area around Caster||Toxic Cloud|
|Item of Undeniable Access||when used||Caster only||Open|
|Item of Venom Antidote||when used||Caster only||Cure Poison|
|Item of Venom Spitting||when used||Caster only||Levitate|
|Item of Water Breathing||when equipped||Caster only||Water Breathing|
|Item of Water-walking||when equipped||Caster only||Water Walking|
|Item of Wild Fire||when used||Area at Range||Wildfire|
|Item of Wizard's Fire||when used||Target at Range||Wizard's Fire|
|Item, the Protector||when used||Caster only||Shield|
|Leaping Item||when equipped||Caster only||Enhance Dragonish|
|Never Tiring Item||when used||Caster only||Restore Stamina|
|Shining Item||when used||Caster only||Light|
|Silent Item||when used||On Touch||Silence|
|Torgo's Item||when equipped||Caster only||Feet of Notorgo|
|Unrestrainable Item||when used||Caster only||Free Action|
- The magnitude and duration of the effect on a magical item depends on the player's level, as it does for spells.
- Enchantments that are applied "when strikes" can only be found on weapons.
- Sometimes enchantments that are applied "when equipped" can also be found on wands. Since wands can not be equipped such a magical item is useless and is only of use when sold. The enchantments "Water Walking" and "Enhance Dragonish" are often found on wands.
- "Enhance Dragonish" is the only language-relevant enchantment which can be found, all other languages apparently can not be found as enchantments.
- The "Leaping" and "Venom Spitting" items were very likely misnamed by the developers. This error was fixed by a 3rd party patch.
Durability of Magical Items
To make the most of any magical item it is important to know how long it will last when used. The more often it is used the faster it wears out. The starting health of a magical item depends on the kind of item. Any magical item, beside weapons and armors has always a starting health of 1500. This applies also for artifacts, see further below. When it comes to weapons and armors, the material the gear is crafted determines the starting health. It doesn't matter what kind of weapon/armor the magical items is. See the below for further details on the starting health for each material.
The use of a magical item will decrease its health until the item breaks and it is gone for good. How much of the item's health is used, is determined when the enchantment is applied, either when used, when strikes or when equipped.
For enchantments that are used as long as the item is equipped, following rule applies: The health decreases by 105 every time the item is equipped plus an additional decrease of 1 for every in-game minute the item is equipped. For example if one equips an item for one in-game hour, it has an overall health decrease of
105 + 60 = 165.
Effects that are applied when an item is used or when it strikes a target, will decrease its health by 10 every time it is used or it strikes a target which can be harmed by the weapon's material. Whether the enemy was save vs. magic or not, doesn't matter, the weapon's health will always decrease by 10. If an item is used, but the spell is aborted before it is casted, the health will decrease by 10 as well.
In case an item is also a weapon or a piece of armor, its abrasion in combat must be considered for the overall health decrease as well.
The health decrease of magical items works very likely additive, which means two enchantments on an item will consume 20 health per cast and so on. But since the standard magical items contain only one enchantment, this feature is not researched in detail. Such items can only be created by using an Item Maker, who is available for members of the appropriate rank at the Mages Guild or the School of Julianos.
Durability of Artifacts
All artifacts have a starting health of 1500, except the Oghma Infinium which has only one point of health and therefore will vanish after it is used. It doesn't matter whether the artifact is also a weapon or an armor. This is the reason why some of the artifacts for example the Ebony Blade get worn out extremely fast. Although artifacts may have powerful enchantments, they have a very limited durability. This must be considered an oversight made by the developers. If an artifact only increases a skill while equipped e.g. the Chrysamere or the Skeleton Key, it will not get worn out, regardless how long it is equipped. This also applies for self-made magical items.
Quests where magical items can be obtained
- Defamation: Investigate the rumors being spread about a local character.
- The Relic: Retrieve a sacred relic guarded by a lich.
- The Great Evil: Find and retrieve an object of great evil from a local dungeon.
- An Object Lesson: "Liberate" a magical item from a store.
- Giant Killing: Kill a not-so-gentle giant.
- Runaway Pet: Bring back a noble's runaway tiger.
- Lord K'avar Quest Part I: You are tasked to protect a spy for Sentinel.
- Lord K'avar Quest Part III: Capture or execute Lord K'avar on Queen Akorithi's behalf in his hideout within Castle Wayrest.
- Standard Protection: Kill assassins and avenge a dead man.
- Azimuthal Vectors: Help a mage with his research.
- Guard the Guild: Thieves are trying to steal a magic item from the Mages Guild.
- Former Student Part I: Hunt down a former student practicing unsanctioned magic, or accompany him in his endeavors.
- Former Student Part II: Help the renegade mage find a box within the Direnni Tower.
- Former Student Part III: Help the renegade mage in his endeavors to find a lost magical item.
- Protect an Honored Mage: Assassins are coming for an honored mage.
- A Dangerous Wizard: A powerful wizard threatens all of Tamriel.
- The Vampire's Letter: Deliver a letter on behalf of your vampire bloodline.
- Territorial Battles: Dispose a vampire ancient from a rival bloodline.
- The Libel: Retrieve a document for one of the witch covens.
- Problems with Vampires: Slay a Vampire Ancient for a witch coven.
- A Rare Tome: Obtain a rare tome for a witch coven.
- A Treacherous Gift: Deliver a treacherous gift to a character in a local town.
- An Expensive Purchase: Buy a magic item for a witch coven from a character in a local town.
- Gold Smuggling: Deliver some gold to a character in a local town.
- Forgotten Equipment: Deliver a magical item to a noble's associate.
- The Fourth Man: Act as delivery boy for a noble.
- The Lost Sapphire: Retrieve a sapphire for a noble's ally.
- The Thieves Gang: Exchange a gold brick for a magical item — although some thieves have other plans.
- Business with Vampires: Deliver a holy item to a noble's contact — although some vampires also want the item.
- Missing Prince: Lhotun wants to find his missing brother.
- Blackmailing Prince Helseth: Prince Helseth wants you to deliver a special letter.
- Freeing Medora: Free Lysandus's Lover from Her Tower.
- Concern for Nulfaga: Queen Aubk-i is worried about Nulfaga.
- Stronghold of the Blades: A trap has been laid for the Blades.
- Lich's Soul: The King of Worms wants you to kill some undead.