Tamriel is divided into zones for Elder Scrolls Online. These zones appear much like regions or holds, but cross traditional provincial borders. The zones are divided by Alliance, with five to each (at launch) as well as one or two starter zones, and these zones are further divided into three Subzones each. Cyrodiil is one zone, much larger than the others, divided into three larger-than-normal subzones. There are also a number of zones which, while nominally located within an Alliance's territory in some instances, are considered politically neutral.
A subset of zones are Adventure Zones, which contain content aimed at groups of four players.
- Auridon — The second-largest island in the Summerset Isles and the location of Firsthold, one of the largest Aldmeri cities in the world.
- Grahtwood — A large region deep in the jungles of Valenwood, and the location of the Aldmeri Dominion's capital, Elden Root.
- Greenshade — A large region of western Valenwood, lush with life under its canopy with rivers coursing through the land.
- Khenarthi's Roost — A small island off the coast of Elsweyr inhabited by both Khajiit and Maormer, named for the Khajiiti goddess Khenarthi.
- Malabal Tor — A region deep in the jungles of northwestern Valenwood, where little light reaches the forest floor.
- Reaper's March — A region connecting the jungles of Valenwood and the rolling plains of Elsweyr.
- Alik'r Desert — A region along the northern coast of Hammerfell.
- Bangkorai — A region connecting the northern reaches of Hammerfell with the east of High Rock.
- Betnikh — A small island off the southern tip of High Rock, with steep cliffs and a lush, fertile interior.
- Glenumbra — A region in High Rock covering the entire peninsula that separates Iliac Bay from the Abecean Sea.
- Rivenspire — The northern region of High Rock.
- Stormhaven — The south-central region of High Rock.
- Stros M'Kai — A desert island off the coast of Hammerfell.
- Bal Foyen — A small coastal zone neighboring Stonefalls in Morrowind.
- Bleakrock Isle — A small, barren island in the sea northeast of Morrowind, just to the south of Solstheim.
- Deshaan — A region in southern Morrowind.
- Eastmarch — The easternmost hold in Skyrim.
- The Rift — The southeastern hold of Skyrim.
- Shadowfen — The northwestern region of Black Marsh.
- Stonefalls — A zone in central Morrowind.
- Coldharbour — Molag Bal's realm of Oblivion.
- Craglorn — A region situated in northeastern Hammerfell between Bangkorai and Cyrodiil.
- Cyrodiil — The central province of Tamriel and home of the Imperials, who stand alone in the Alliance War.
- Gold Coast — A region situated in western Colovia, between Hammerfell and Malabal Tor.
- Hew's Bane — A peninsula in southern Khefrem on the south coast of Hammerfell.
- Murkmire — A region situated in western Black Marsh, south of Shadowfen.
- Wrothgar — A region situated in northeastern High Rock, north of Stormhaven.
- Unzoned — A listing of places which are not part of any zone or their associated storylines.
Zone content is geared to specific player levels according to the table below. Note that levels 1-2 are encountered only in the tutorial dungeon, the Wailing Prison; characters that skip the tutorial will start at level 3.
|Khenarthi's Roost||Starter Area||4–6||1||6|
|Malabal Tor||Tier 4||31–37||4||9|
|Reaper's March||Tier 5||37–43||5||10|
|Stros M'Kai||Starter Area||4–5||1||6|
|Alik'r Desert||Tier 4||31–37||4||9|
|Bleakrock Isle||Starter Area||4–5||1||6|
|Bal Foyen||Starter Area||5–6||1||6|
|The Rift||Tier 5||37–43||5||10|
|Cyrodiil||PvP||10+ (See note)|
|Hew's Bane||N/A||3+ (Battle Leveling)|
|Wrothgar||N/A||3+ (Battle Leveling)|